Materials v1.5 have been introduced in version 0.23, and succeeds the classic materials (formerly known as Materials v1).
These represent the first approach of BeamNG.drive to PBR (Physically-Based Rendering), aiming to produce realistic and feature-complete materials.
- Metal-Roughness PBR workflow
- Industry standard, fully compatible with texture authoring software such as Substance Designer/Painter, Quixel Mixer, etc.
- Realistic paint
- Fresnel, adjustable Metallic and Roughness, and support for Clear Coat and Clear Coat Roughness
- Better, Faster than classic materials
- New PBR texture maps allow to achieve better results than classic materials with fewer layers and hacks. Increased performance of multi-layer materials.
Both v1.5 and v1 materials can be used at any time, and can be switched between through the Material Editor
- Use of Materials v1.5 is highly recommended. Not only they look better than the classic materials, but will guarantee that your content will be more future proof.
- Recommended to use with the Texture Cooker
PBR Materials make use of additional texture maps in order to produce physically correct materials.
Physically-Based Rendering is a standard nowadays, which means there is plenty of interesting content in regards online that also apply back for BeamNG.drive’s v1.5 materials! Here are a few we recommend: